Assistant Consulting Agronomist
Agrimanagement is a small independent crop consulting company in Yakima, WA. While serving the many commercial agriculture industries of Central Washington and Northern Oregon, we remain independent of chemical sales, and are not compensated for the sale of any of the fertilizer or chemical products we recommend. We are continuing to build a team of professional agronomists and crop consultants who can collaboratively provide our grower clients with solutions and help them optimize their inputs.
This is a residency-like position for an assistant agronomist who will immediately begin a customized training program consisting of filed scout work, report writing, and grower relations. This will be developed for 2017 and beyond as fits the company's and the employee's professional goals, career interests, and labor needs. This initial starting point is anticipated as a mutual opportunity for a long term relationship.
Field work will initially comprise about 50% for this position, and may reach more like 80% during the summer months. Duties will include soil sampling, moisture monitoring, plant tissue sampling, and pest management scouting in a variety of crops. The Assistant Agronomist will participate in contacting growers, and will build lasting relationships with them. As the Assistant Agronomist you will be managing and coordinating tasks while closely working with the summer employees to help train and ensure proper sampling technique. You will help with the maintenance of the company's mechanical and irrigation monitoring equipment (e.g. iMetos, data loggers, Ech2o sensors).
Miscellaneous other responsibilities may include:
- Utilizing Agrimanagement proprietary software to record and report data and write client recommendations
- Provide training for summer sampler and scout employees as well as development of training plans and materials
- Support for in-house and client research projects
- GIS data analysis and mapping
After training, this individual will ultimately be expected to, as part of a team, manage a department of sales, support staff, and provide science-based recommendations for clients in many agronomic disciplines.
Knowledge in the following disciplines are helpful:
- General Ag, business, farming, or gardening experience
- General chemistry, physical science, entomology, and nematology
- Soil and fertility knowledge
- Plant nutrition and physiology
- Plant pathology
- Crop production science
- Training and sales experience
- Computer and software skills
- GIS experience.
Important Capabilities and Skills:
- Strong ethics
- Ability to proactively listen
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Clear and concise oral and written communication
- Self dependant, yet team oriented
- Strong, positive social interaction skills, professional self conduct
- Physical stamina to perform sampling and scouting services
- A valid driver's license is required
After seven months of employment, the employee will be required to earn a Washington State Pesticide Consultant license. At that point, a professional position contract will be signed. By four years of employment the employee should be certified by the American Society of Agronomy's Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) Program, or the NAICC's CPCC-I program.
The compensation package is competitive to the agricultural service industry and, depending on experience and training, is negotiable. Agrimanagement offers accrued paid vacation, holiday leave, sick leave, participation in the company profit sharing incentive plan, participation in the employee health insurance plan, and after twelve months of employment, participation in a SIMPLE IRA with matching funds.
Send a current resume, including transcripts from all educational institutions attended. Include the names and contact phone numbers of four references, two of which were former employers. Attach a letter of application outlining philosophy for client development and sales marketing. Explain pertinent skills or experiences relevant to consideration for work in crop consulting, and provide a discussion of how you've met these qualifications.
Applications may be submitted to email@example.com or mailed to:
408 North First Street
Yakima, WA 98901